Leaders and Loving Supporters »

Saturday, June 19, 2010

I am truly blessed to have the parents that I have...

I am truly blessed to have the parents I have. Often times I find myself being taken for granted because I’m such a giving person. I don’t say this to be cocky or anything, I love to make people happy and do things for them that others might not do. I’m usually described as being too self-less, sure this sounds like a great trait to carry, unfortunately too many times you get taken advantage of, or as many times as you’ve been there for others, those others don’t have time to be there for you. You would think this would make me bitter and not help others or those people in particular any more… but that just isn’t me, I’m the one that will still call to check in with them, or to remind people that it’s their birthday so they aren’t forgotten even if they forgot my birthday. That’s just me. I know I get it from my mom in particular, she is always loaning money or doing favors for others and family, but when it comes to her or hers needing money or favors, everyone seems to disappear and forget all the times she’s helped them. I love her for her kind and giving heart. It doesn’t matter if she has $5 to her name, if you ask her to donate to a good cause, she will forget about her survival and donate her last $5 to help out.
This weekend was a true demonstration to me about my parents being so giving and self-less. First and foremost, most of you know that my father and I don’t have the greatest relationship; he’s always been in and out of my life by being in and out of prison since I was 4yrs old. When I was little it was always like “we picked up where we left off,” me being daddy’s little girl, now that I’m older and more mature, I tend to have a lot of resentment for the things he put us through… however, due to his life choices it’s really hard for him to find a stable job, (just the way society is now ya know, they want you to continue doing good and not fall off track, but then everyone sees that check mark on the application for “conviction” and they don’t give you the job) – so he has to do side jobs here and there in Santa Ana (not the best place for an ex con) and save money. You think you got it hard, imagine being almost 50yrs old, not having a car, a house, and saving for a month or two to just to have $50 to your name… smh. Well my dad heard about my struggle with school from around the way (I wouldn’t ask him for money, after all I pay his cell phone bill and take him to get the necessities that he needs.) But when I saw him yesterday he called me over, and said “I know it isn’t much but I do want to help with your school, here is $100” and handed it off to me, of course me being me I told him I couldn’t take his money, he said he worked hard for it and its clean money, not dirty money and its all he has, but he wants me to have it… I felt so blessed, here is a man that knows he hasn’t been the greatest father and doesn’t have much to his name, but will drop his last dime on a daughter that doesn’t even keep in touch that often, and he does it because he knows I’m stressed and in need and he wants to help… <3 he doesn’t expect anything in return, just the thought to know he helped his daughter out was enough for him… such a giving man as well, always fixing peoples cars and plumbing and such, but let him need a ride somewhere or let his daughter need money for school, and all the sudden nobody knows him or his kids… smh


My mom later pulled me to the side and told me that she had some items for me to sell on EBay to earn some money, I told her I would split with her whatever I make, and she said to keep it all, it’s for school and she’s trying to help with whatever she can.. I told her I loved her and appreciate all she’s done for me. She then asked me if I remembered the money that she’s been saving for a long time now – so that when she retires she’d have a savings... I told her of course, that was always the money she would never touch, even when she was in the highest of needs… (Kinda like how I was with my skewl money... well until now that is) – She handed me a check and said she wanted me to have that money to pay for my summer skewl … I looked at this woman – like she is crazy! Heck no! – she tried to force me to take it, but the thought was enough for me… she apologized for not being smart enough to get a corporate job and make good money (she has a learning disability and can’t read much and is a slow learner). I told her never to apologize for that. She is a manager at KMART and has been one for over 10yrs, over sees the Toy Dept and every year received corporate awards for having the best kept department in all of California. That’s so much for me to be proud of, plus she is a strong woman that raised two crazy ass daughters on her own & always working 3 jobs with no sleep but still looking beautiful as ever. She told me she was trying to figure out something to help out, I thanked her and left. I couldn’t believe she was just going to give me that money... WOW


Father’s day is tomorrow, and I don’t have much money to get anyone gifts when normally by now I’ve budgeted money to get BOMB gifts… I apologized to my dad and step dad who both said not to worry about it. My mom was taking my Step-Dad Gill to Laughlin for father’s day, when he was leaving he told me “my mission is to go win money for you, whatever I win – its going straight to your school tuition”.. Ha-ha – I told him I would keep my fingers crossed and that I loved them both and to be safe... and they drove away with my step dad yelling out the window “we are gonna win you some money” – haha =) I called them at 6:30pm ish and they said they were a few minutes away from the hotel and were going to check in then have dinner. I wished them luck and hang up… phone rang at 7:20ish and I pick up, Gill is stuttering over the phone and I quickly ask what’s wrong, the sound in his voice made me worry, and he said... “I won you some money”... I said “you haven’t even been there that long”... he said – “mija, with what I won you, you’ll only need a couple hundred more to pay off summer school” I was seriously like “WHAAT???” and when he told me how much he won and that he was going to give it all to me because I’m such a great giving person, with a big heart and deserve sooo much more than I’ve ever received, and because I’m his daughter… I couldn’t help but cry, he cried, my mom was crying... it was a hot ass mess lol. What kind of person wins soo much money and doesn’t keep a dime to their name but gives it all to their child? Seriously?? I know people “say” they would do it, but how many parents do that… Man, I am truly blessed, and no it doesn’t take money to make me thankful, that isn’t what I’m so appreciative for (don’t get me wrong I’m truly thankful for the money) – but this is about the principle of the situation, the action that was taken, the self-less ness that my parents have shown me (all 3 of them)… and I’m so proud and glad that they are my parents, even after all the fussing and fighting, I truly couldn’t have asked for better role models. They are all strong, wise, kind, outgoing, people with big hearts and soo much love for their children. Thank you Lord for all your help and strength throughout this hard time and stress... I was getting worried with only receiving two donations after over 300 people were notified of my donation page… and people deleting my invites to help me win a scholarship... I’ve been selling stuff on EBay, reselling all my books online, whatever valuable stuff I have I’m selling, looking for a part time job in addition to my already full time job and full time school schedule… it was all really beginning to be a lot to handle especially because I still wasn’t coming up with much for the next school year let alone summer school.… and he came through yet again, as he soooo often does. I kept praying and trying to stay positive believing this was all happening for a reason. I believe I was put on this Earth to do something great and I couldn’t give up without achieving my goals. I knew I wasn’t gonna go out without a fight because I knew and know what I want, and that is to further my education, get the degrees and be a great MFT (Marriage Family Therapist) so that one day I can take care of my family that so willingly put their needs to the side to help me in my time of need. =) I won’t let anything stop me from where I’m destined to go, I will prevail on. To my parents & sister I love you all very much, and again I thank you all, and I thank the Lord for his blessing to me, that I call my family.

0 comments: